Friday, July 23, 2010

GRAD SCHOOL: A Bumper Sticker with a Point of View ("No! Really?")

My first assignment in my new grad school program is to create a bumper sticker:
Think about a principle or concept that is important to you in your pursuit of obtaining your degree...Design and create a bumper sticker...
I'm not sure the principle is supposed to be a "big idea" that drives my teaching philosophy, or rather a more personal point of view on what motivates my participation in an MEd program, but torn between mercenary self-interest ("need the degree to advance the career") and academic abstraction ("the merits of lifelong learning"), I've arrived at a statement that I feel can work for either:
Talent opens most doors, but degrees open a few critical ones.
My experience in the commercial art world taught me that the portfolio is king, and solid work and a clean reputation open more doors than degrees alone.  I share this with students interested in freelance careers, and this is a reality that they, happily, come back to tell me again and again still holds.  This is also confirmed in conversations with freelancers and other educators.  I suppose this merit/talent-based worldview also resonates with the thoroughly Western sense of rugged individualism acquired reading Ayn Rand novels as a teenager, too.

While school is not sufficient, or even necessary in some cases (thanks for reiterating this in front of my students, Allan Chochinov of Core 77), I also know, after spending much time in Higher Ed, that the path to administrative promotion is paved with advanced degrees.  It seems that accreditation requirements drive a lot of this, but that makes it no less real nor necessary.

I still believe that talent trumps degrees (if you have to have one or the other), but degrees are the right key to open some doors.  As a teacher, I aim to help students develop and use either/both tools.  As a student, man, I'm not crazy about 15 more months of homework.

~mrc

No comments:

Post a Comment